A major part of safe driving is taking the time to notify other drivers around you of your intentions. Using your turn signals is the best way to do this. Turning on the blinker in your Massachusetts car rental is easy, what’s more, the law generally requires it whenever you make a turn or change lanes.
Signaling before you make a move on the road communicates your intentions to drivers both in front of you and behind you. This communication is an effective tool to help prevent accidents.
Dangers of Not Using Your Turn Signal
A recent study by The Society of Automotive Engineers on the driving habits of Americans unveiled some telling statistics concerning the dangers of failing to signal. According to the study:
- Drivers neglect to use their turn signals roughly 750 billion times a year.
- Drivers don’t use their turn signal 25 percent of the time when making a turn.
- Drivers don’t use their turn signal 48 percent of the time while changing lanes.
- Drivers neglect to turn off their turn signals 48 percent of the time after changing lanes.
What’s more, almost 2 million car crashes in the U.S. can be attributed to drivers not using their turn signals properly. Believe it or not, this is more than double the number of accidents attributed to distracted driving.
Turn Signal Tips for Massachusetts Car Rental Travelers
Are you guilty of neglecting your turn signal? Here are some tips to help you become a better communicator on the road:
- Remember to use your Massachusetts car rental turn signal a few seconds ahead of the turn you want to make. It’s recommended that you turn your blinker on roughly 100 feet ahead of your turn in the city; further when you’re on the highway.
- You should always use your turn signal when changing lanes. This includes when you’re entering traffic from a parking area or driveway.
- Turn your signal on, then look and turn. This gives other drivers time to notice and react to your intentions. If you’re lucky, someone might even make room for your Massachusetts car rental.
- Can remember which way to flip the lever in order to turn on your blinker? Here’s a quick tip: push the lever in the direction that you plan to turn. As such, if you leave your hand on the steering wheel and want to turn left, you will want to push the leave up and to the left, thereby signaling your intention to turn that way.
The Future of Turn Signals
Due to the growing concern over turn signal misuse, researchers at The Society of Automobile Engineers are calling for the installation of “Smart Turn Signals” on all automobiles. These devices would cause a turn signal to automatically deactivate after a short amount of time, as well as issue a subtle dashboard warning/reminder if a driver forgets to use their indicators.
It’s not clear how far out these advancements are, but you can be sure that when they become standard, our Massachusetts car rental vehicles will be properly equipped! Safety is our #1 concern at VERC. For more information on our Massachusetts car rental safety ratings, please contact one of our agency locations.
Tags: Massachusetts car rental