It is the bane of many lead-foots, the cause of many tickets, and the trigger for a lot of accidents. What is this? The speed limit. While that irritating sign posting the maximum can aggravate any driver, there is a reason that the minimum number is there as well. While it’s dangerous to drive your Boston rental car too fast, some people don’t consider that it’s just as dangerous to drive too slowly. Aside from annoying the other drivers on the road, we’ll tell you why driving your Boston rental car too slow can be a risky venture.
Why A Slow Boston Rental Car is as Dangerous as a Fast One
There are two instances where driving too slowly can be a road hazard:
- Driving slowly in the left hand lane: there’s a reason the left lane is called the “fast” lame – it’s for cars who are trying to overtake. If you are driving too slowly in the fast lane, other cars may be forced to pass you on the right. This can lead to people trying to pass you on the right, which is dangerous.
- Driving slowly in residential areas: if you are driving slowly in a residential area and another car turns a corner going much faster, they could hit you. In addition, if you are driving slowly and leading a parade of (seething) drivers who are trying to get past you and you suddenly slam on your brakes, that can cause accidents, as well as road rage.
This is why you’ll frequently see minimum speed limits posted along with maximum speed limits – the police don’t want you going too fast, but they also don’t want you going too slow. Those caught driving below the speed limit could be charged for blocking or impeding traffic.
Sound Familiar? You Might Be a Slow Driver If…
Many people simply assume that someone driving slowly is just a senior citizen, but that’s not always the case. There are three other types of people who will drive their Boston rental car too slowly:
- Not paying attention: checking your text messages? Watch your focus drop. If a driver is not focusing on the road, one of the side effects is a reduction in speed to compensate for the lack of focus. And if the driver is distracted, they may not see other things, such as the fact that another car is behind them.
- Not familiar with the area: whether they’re trying not to miss their turn or trying to take in all of the new sights, tourists can often end up going a little too easy on the gas pedal.
- New to driving: While some teenagers are speed-demons, others are very uncertain drivers and compensate for their uncertainty by driving slower.
- Old age: As people age, their joints stiffen and they can have a hard time putting enough pressure on the gas pedal. Or sometimes their vision gets worse and they slow down to compensate for it. Sometimes it’s just nerves.
So What Do I Do If I’m a Slow Driver?
As you can see, driving your Boston rental car too slowly can impede traffic and be a potential catalyst for car accidents. Slow driving can also induce road rage in other drivers, which can spell trouble for you. The safer alternative is to stick within the appropriate speed range if the traffic isn’t very congested. However, if traffic is tight, then having your speed match the speed of the other cars will be much safer.
When it comes to reserving your Boston rental car, don’t be too slow about it. Pick up the pace and book it today!
Tags: Boston rental car